Note: This function is not available with every generator. Check in each individual case whether the function can be used with your generator.
Introduction to the topic
In order to monitor the level of the diesel fuel in the tank, you can integrate a tank sensor with SAE J1939-CAN interface in the fpCAN. The tank sensor sends the filling level of the diesel tank in percent on the CAN bus.
Frequenly asked questions about using the tank sensor at the fpCAN
Which tank sensor does Fischer Panda approve for use on the fpCAN?
- ITS-60 Tank Sensor from BEDIA Motorentechnik.
A detailed product description is available on the manufacturer’s website at http://www.bedia.com/index.php/en/products/group/its/item/product-bedia-its-60
- The catalog »BEDIA Intelligent Tank Sensors ITS 60/65« can also be downloaded from this website.
In which temperature range can I operate the tank sensor?
- The tank sensor has a working temperature range from -40 °C bis +85 °C.
Which measuring principle does the approved tank sensor use?
- The ITS-60 Tank Sensor uses a capacitive measuring principle and integrated electronics to determine the fill level.
- The measurement works regardless of the diesel fuel used.
Is the tank sensor offered with different sensor pipe lengths?
- Fischer Panda offers the ITS-60 tank sensor in 4 standard sensor pipe lengths.
- Further sensor pipe lengths are possible on request.
- minimal length: 200 mm
- maximum length: 2300 mm
|Sensor pipe lenght||Measurement range start||Measurement range end||Fischer Panda article number|
|200 mm||190 mm||20 mm||0011625|
|470 mm||460 mm||20 mm||0027315|
|520 mm||510 mm||20 mm||0011626|
|590 mm||580 mm||20 mm||0025545|
How is the tank sensor connected to the fpCAN and which adapters are required?
- The interface for connecting the ITS-60 tank sensor to the fpCAN is the »fpControl Connection Board – Generator« (fpControl CB-G), which is located on the outside of the generator capsule.
- You need two adapters to connect the tank sensor to the CB-G:
- One adapter »Tank sensor-to-fpCAN«, which converts from Deutsch DT04-4P to the fpCAN patch cable with RJ-45 connector.
- A T-adapter that leads the generator panel cable and the adapter »Tank sensor-to-fpCAN« to the RJ-45 socket of the CB-G.
Step by step guide
- Connect the Deutsch socket DT04-4P of the ITS-60 tank sensor with the Deutsch plug of the adapter »Tank sensor-to-fpCAN«.
- Connect the RJ-45 plug of the T-adapter to the RJ-45 socket of the »Tank sensor-to-fpCAN« adapter.
- Disconnect the generator panel cable from the CB-G.
- Connect the generator panel cable to a free RJ-45 socket of the T-adapter.
- Use an additional fpCAN patch cable to connect the free RJ-45 socket of the T-adapter to the RJ-45 socket of the »fpControl CB G«.
- Result: The ITS-60 Tank Sensor is connected to the fpCAN.
|1||adapter »Tank sensor-to-fpCAN«, which converts from Deutsch DT04-4P to the fpCAN patch cable with RJ-45 connector|
|2||T-adapter that leads the generator panel cable and the adapter »Tank sensor-to-fpCAN« to the RJ-45 socket of the CB-G|
|3||generator panel cable|
|4||additional fpCAN patch cable to connect the T-adapter to the RJ-45 socket of the »fpControl CB G«|
How long is the connection cable of the tank sensor?
- The connection cable of the tank sensor has a length of 250 mm +/- 15 mm (length specification including the Deutsch DT04-4P).
Can the tank sensor be used directly as a plug-and-play device?
- The sensor must be activated in the panel menu so that the filling level is displayed on the »xControl – CP-G« / »fpControl CP-G« control panel.
Step by step guide
- Open the »panel« menu
- Select »opt. measured data« and confirm.
- Select »fuel-level« and confirm.
Opportunities for action:
- You can select the »on« option. The filling level indicator is activated permanently.
- You can select the »auto« option. The filling level is displayed when a tank sensor is detected in the fpCAN.
Continuation of the step by step guide
- Select one of the options »on« or »auto« and confirm.
- Result: The tank sensor is activated.
- The »xControl – CP-G« / »fpControl CP-G« displays the filling level in [%]:
Which warning messages are possible when using a tank sensor?
- When the level of the diesel tank has reached the warning value, a warning is generated (event code 63). The »xControl – CP-G« / »fpControl CP-G« displays the warning with a pop-up window.
- If the option »on« is activated, a warning is generated (event code 149) if there is a problem with the bus communication or with the supply voltage of the tank sensor. The »xControl – CP-G« / »fpControl CP-G« displays the warning with a pop-up window. If the »auto« option is activated, there is no tank sensor warning.
Can the warning value for the filling level be set on the control panel?
- Yes, the warning value for the filling level can be set on the control panel »xControl – CP-G« / »fpControl CP-G«. The default value for the warning is a filling level of 20%. You can set the warning value in 1% increments between the specified minimum and maximum value.
- This feature is available from CP-G software release 5V02.
The warning value for the filling level can only be set if a tank sensor is connected to the fpCAN.
Step by step guide
- Open menu »generator«.
- Select option »fuel warn.-threshold« and confirm.
- Set the warning value on the dialog page »fuel warn.-threshold« between the specified min and max value using the arrow keys of the panel.
- Confirm the set warning value with the start / stop button.
|»Increase warning value« key. A long press on the button activates the rapid increase of the warning value.|
|»Decrease warning value« key. A long press on the button activates the rapid decrease of the warning value.|
|»Confirm warning value« key.|
- Save the set warning value with »confirm« and exit the dialog.
»cancel« lets you exit the dialog without saving the set warning value. The previous value is retained.
In which CAN message (PGN) is the fill level sent on the fpCAN?
- PGN 65276 (0xFEFC hexadecimal), symbol »DD1« (»Dash Display«).
- SPN 96
- This PGN is sent in a 1000 ms cycle.
Can the tank sensor also be used on generators with iControl2?
- Yes, the tank sensor can also be used on generators with iControl2.
What needs to be considered for generators with iControl2?
- The tank sensor must be connected to the fpCAN via the »fpControl CAN Interface – SAE J1939« (fpControl CI-SAE J1939) since no CB-G is available with the iGenerators.
- The level measured by the tank sensor is only available as information on the fpCAN for iGenerators. The iControl2 panel does not show the filling level.
- There is no low filling level warning on iGenerators.